Friday, September 17, 2010

Quickwrite: Aimee Mullins' Speech

After hearing Aimee's speech about her legs, it really had me thinking. There are so many things that she is able to alter to her body. Being able to do this is truly amazing and it is a sign that our technology had improved. It seems like this would be a big part of our future. However, I have a little bit of negativity towards this. If people in the future start removing their body parts and replacing them with other technology, we would soon be- not exactly a robot- but very similar. We would depend on batteries and such to keep our body running. I just don't think we should destroy our natural bodies when they are perfectly fine. Because then, without our robotic parts, we cannot function regularity. I feel that this act is very similar to plastic surgery. We try to "beautify" ourselves by changing the shape of our faces, narrowing our noses, or having breast implantation. Eventually we will not look like ourselves.

There is a positive side as well. As Aimee says, this is an art of creativity and imagination, much like sculpturing, but in an elevated level. There are countless possibilities like flying or having super speed. We can make ourselves look like anything at all. It is fascinating at the thought of possessing these abilities, but what will  I do what the fun is over? What if I get bored of it and want my original body back?

In my opinion, I would much rather keep my body parts.I like the fact that we are able to build our body doing exercises and keep it healthy. Having my own body just feels more comfortable, even though I would not know how it feels to have a piece of technology attached to me. Maybe we should start thinking about how unique our original bodies actually is and appreciate it.

I don't want to make those without body parts feel ashamed of their bodies either. I just hope people who have a perfectly functioning body think carefully. You can just have one or the other.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your point that we should learn to appreciate how unique our bodies already are. Great warning to those thinking about changing perfectly good body parts. ^^

    ReplyDelete